5 days duration
The beginners course can be used as a stepping stone to higher levels of achievement. No experience will be required for this course.
Students will learn:
- Safety techniques
- Care, adjustment and sharpening of cutting tools
- Knowledge of hand tools
- Double hand and back stitching
- Use of stitching clams
- Preparation of leather
- Methods of cutting leather
- Faults in leather
- Types of leather for various work
- Repair work according to ability
- Advice on tools, materials and equipment
This course is very low key with no formal lectures and is designed to give students a good introductory knowledge of the skills required to achieve a safe and acceptable standard of leatherwork. By the end of the week, you will have made a useful item to take away with you. This may be used as a stepping stone towards City & Guilds Level 1 Skills Test.
Tools, leather and buckles will be supplied by the school or students may bring their own. (A list of tools required can be obtained prior to starting the course) A certificate of attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.